Free Visual Inspection For Property Owners (231) 259-4111

Call Today! (231) 259-4111
Call Today! (231) 259-4111
Big Rapids/Fremont LogoLogo
Call Today! (231) 259-4111
Call Today! (231) 259-4111
Big Rapids/Fremont Logo

The Do’s & Don’ts Of Mold In Commercial Buildings

Published by SEO on August 27, 2021 in category: Uncategorized

Mold spores growing out of control

Mold spores are extremely resilient creatures making their way into all indoor environments. These toxic bacteria have a convenient way of spreading: the very air around you. The worst part is that they can persist in just about any conditions you can imagine – so long as there is oxygen, a source of nutrition, and humidity.

They can grow on walls, books, toys, and even CDs. It wouldn’t take long for mold to turn your most prized possessions into the garbage that only looks fit to be discarded.

 Mold thrives in moist and warm environments, so fixing these two should be your first mode of action. 

This article takes a look at the dos and don’ts of your best course of action when you encounter mold damage. 

The Dos 

Your first course of action is to figure out why the mold is growing so rapidly. As mentioned earlier, mold needs damp and warm conditions for growth. They do not thrive in freezing temperatures. In nearly all cases, a mold problem almost always indicates the presence of a water leak (which leads to moisture, and that leads to mold growth). Hire water damage restoration specialists to provide you with clues. 

Do: Find Out the Source of a Possible Water Leak and Fix It 

Try to find out where the water leak is coming from and repair it right away. Once you fix the source of moisture, you can prevent mold from growing further. You can go about reducing the humidity levels in the air with the help of an industry-grade dehumidifier. 

This may be necessary even if you don’t have a water leak and the environment is naturally humid. We recommend installing a humidifier or HVAC equipment to regulate the moisture in the air. The ideal humidity levels in the air are between 30% and 50%, but it should never get over 60% otherwise it will start causing a problem. 

Do: Clean the Affected Area 

Now that you have fixed the root cause of the water leak, the next step is to take care of the standing water. With the water out of the way, you should have the area cleaned with the help of mold damage restoration experts, like 911 Restoration. These experts can perform a thorough inspection of the site and resolve the issue once and for all. 

Do: Turn Off the HVAC System (as a temporary measure only!)

This step may seem counterintuitive because HVAC systems are very effective against mold growth. However, mold spores can circulate your home by ‘hitching’ a ride on the HVAC and infesting even more surfaces. Once you get the go-ahead from mold damage restoration experts, you can turn the HVAC system back on. 

Do: Open Up the Windows and Doors 

Opening the windows should let fresh air in and improve the indoor air quality. The flow of air will also reduce humidity levels and promote circulation. Moreover, since mold thrives in dark and moist environments, the bacteria will shrivel up and die from prolonged exposure to the sun. 

Do: Call the Specialists

The safest way to thoroughly clean mold is by calling professionals, like 911 Restoration. If you live in the Big Rapids and Fremont area, give us a call and we’ll give you a quick consultation.  

The Don’ts 

Mold is dangerous to your health, so you should not handle it on your own. Avoid sleeping in moldy rooms to prevent mold exposure. Individuals with weakened immune systems should move out until the problem has been addressed by mold damage restoration experts.  

Don’t: Use Bleach 

Bleach is very effective against toxic bacteria – if it can even make contact with the mold spores, that is. Sure you can apply bleach to affected areas and clean off all the visible patches of mold growth, but can you say the same about airborne spores? If you mishandle the cleanup process, it would be only a matter of time before mold starts growing again. 

Don’t: Use a Fan

Aiming a fan on the mold patches will stir up the spores and spread them to other parts of your house, which will increase contamination. Note, however, that good ventilation with built-in fans in the bathroom is effective at keeping humidity levels down and preventing the growth of mold in the first place. 

Don’t Sleep in a Room With Mold Growth 

Mold exposure can cause health risks for individuals who have health issues, weakened immune systems, and are struggling with respiratory issues. Move out of the room until the mold issue is taken care of. 

Don’t Touch or Sniff it 

Making contact with mold in any way, shape or form is an extremely bad idea. Mold itself does not have a smell. The ‘sweaty sock’ smell comes from the moisture content associated with mold growth. Inhaling these mold spores can be extremely detrimental to your health. By touching mold spores, you risk spreading them to the rest of your home – both in the air and on various surfaces.  

Wrapping Up – Hire Mold Damage Repair Professionals

Calling a professional mold damage restoration service in Big Rapids should be your first course of action the moment you spot any mold growth. 911 Restoration is a trusted and leading provider of mold damage repair throughout the Big Rapids and Fremont areas. If you have any queries, feel free to contact us, our experts will respond immediately. 

ecofriendly company
Call us today with any questions or concerns! (231) 259-4111
14585 220th Ave, Big Rapids, MI 49307
*Property Owners Only. Restrictions Apply